Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Daily wage teachers face financial crunch

Rawalpindi

The teachers working in government schools and colleges on daily wages are facing great hardships, as they are not paid during the summer vacation.

While talking to ‘The News’ Salman Ahmed, a daily wage teacher said, “I am working on daily basis for the last 5 years and my salary is even less than a grade four government employee.” He said, “I am only getting Rs5,200 per month and within this limited amount I have to bear the expenses of my 4 family members. And in summer vacations I don’t get this amount as well, which increases my economic woes.”

He said, “All the daily wage teachers are also facing the similar kind of situation of the two holidays in a week, as we get salary of only 5 days, which has created more financial issues for us,” he added. Salman said that during the summer vocations, I use to give tuition from early morning to late night to earn some money and meet my expenses. I would request the concern authorities to regularise all the daily wage teachers or give them some stipend during summer vocation,” he added.

Nazir Shah, another teacher, said that it is very difficult for all the daily wage teachers to spend summer vacation, as during these days they don’t get single rupee and keep on searching for some means to earn some money. He said, “We are working as daily wages teachers because of the high rate of unemployment and there is lack of opportunities and we have no other option but to work on daily basis.”